Gotta Like Them Apples
I went to a store yesterday with the intent of looking for a few specific items. I found some of the items and got what I went for. This is good for me! I'm not very good at "sticking to the list" when it comes to shopping.
As the family ahead of me was checking out I discovered that apples were on sale. Like, by a lot. My attention wouldn't have been drawn to her given the measly (for us!) 3 bags she was preparing to purchase. But then the woman and the checker commented on the great price. I didn't ponder that too long before I had grabbed my little basket and headed to the produce section. There were several varieties to choose from, a couple being some of our favorites. So I grabbed a couple bags of Gala's, a couple bags of Braeburns, and then picked up a bag of the "sour apples" that Ellie had just told us that she liked. With my basket now being significantly heavier, I made my way back through the check out. I checked out and headed back to work.
Then I got to thinking... 15lbs of apples for $4.95. Did I get "enough"? I mean sure, 15lbs is a lot. But at 33ยข a pound, should I have gotten more? I chat with Carie and we agree that I should return to get more. They'll make great snacks for school... for 2 classrooms. They'll be great eating apples, and all of our kids and the daycare kids love them. They'll be great for making applesauce, fried apples (Abby's favorite), apple cake, and apple pie. We easily go through apples in a flash, even without all the baking.
So, I after work I return to the store. I grabbed a full size cart and went to town. I never really added it all up until I was leaving the store and looked at the receipt.
But we ended up with 87lbs of apples! EIGHY SEVEN POUNDS of apples. Okay, so maybe I went a little crazy!?!? The cashier was a young boy and the look on his face was priceless. That was really worth it!
And, I "saved" $72.00 on that one trip and $87 overall just on apples. HA! The thing is I would not have bought 87 pounds of apples if they weren't on this kick ass sale. We didn't "need" apples, but we'll sure find a way to use them now!
And, ummm... it isn't like our apple drawer at home was empty.
Apples were sent to school today for snacks. That takes care of about 12 pounds, just 75 more to go!
As the family ahead of me was checking out I discovered that apples were on sale. Like, by a lot. My attention wouldn't have been drawn to her given the measly (for us!) 3 bags she was preparing to purchase. But then the woman and the checker commented on the great price. I didn't ponder that too long before I had grabbed my little basket and headed to the produce section. There were several varieties to choose from, a couple being some of our favorites. So I grabbed a couple bags of Gala's, a couple bags of Braeburns, and then picked up a bag of the "sour apples" that Ellie had just told us that she liked. With my basket now being significantly heavier, I made my way back through the check out. I checked out and headed back to work.
Then I got to thinking... 15lbs of apples for $4.95. Did I get "enough"? I mean sure, 15lbs is a lot. But at 33ยข a pound, should I have gotten more? I chat with Carie and we agree that I should return to get more. They'll make great snacks for school... for 2 classrooms. They'll be great eating apples, and all of our kids and the daycare kids love them. They'll be great for making applesauce, fried apples (Abby's favorite), apple cake, and apple pie. We easily go through apples in a flash, even without all the baking.
So, I after work I return to the store. I grabbed a full size cart and went to town. I never really added it all up until I was leaving the store and looked at the receipt.
But we ended up with 87lbs of apples! EIGHY SEVEN POUNDS of apples. Okay, so maybe I went a little crazy!?!? The cashier was a young boy and the look on his face was priceless. That was really worth it!And, I "saved" $72.00 on that one trip and $87 overall just on apples. HA! The thing is I would not have bought 87 pounds of apples if they weren't on this kick ass sale. We didn't "need" apples, but we'll sure find a way to use them now!
And, ummm... it isn't like our apple drawer at home was empty.
Apples were sent to school today for snacks. That takes care of about 12 pounds, just 75 more to go!
Labels: Economics



2 Comments:
Wow, quite a savings! Are your apples regularly $3/lb?!?
why were they so outrageously marked down? bizarre!
and i guess if you don't eat them before they all get mushy...there is pie in your future!
Post a Comment
<< Home