Butterflies
The kids have been begging to order butterflies and finally I caved. They love them so very much and they love to watch them grow. It has been a long time since we had ordered and it was time to just do it. Ellie helped me order them and then she was quite disappointed that they didn't magically show up the instant I placed the order. Instead, it could take up to two weeks! Gasp! What are we going to do between now and then?
Fortunately for them, it didn't take two full weeks and they were quite thrilled to receive their package with the caterpillars, butterfly feeder and nectar. Now leaving the containers alone and observing them will be the next challenge! LOL
Then the afternoon of their arrival I happened to go to turn on the garden hose in the backyard. It is located under our deck and so we have this handy little port hole that provides us with access. I lifted the deck board and began to reach down to turn on the hose when something caught my eye. Carie and the girls happened to be standing right beside me and she said that I about jumped out of my skin.
Well wouldn't you if you were greeted with this unexpectedly?

It was just hanging out and camouflaged quite nicely with the deck!
Since we happened to have our butterfly pavilion accessible we got it out and gave the butterfly (and a moth) a new home for a short time.
That is Abby's hand next to (on the outside) of the butterfly pavilion to show just how big this thing was. While we've been able to see butterflies of this size at the new butterfly exhibit at the zoo, we've never seen one like this in the wild. Spencer thinks that it escaped from the zoo!
Fortunately for them, it didn't take two full weeks and they were quite thrilled to receive their package with the caterpillars, butterfly feeder and nectar. Now leaving the containers alone and observing them will be the next challenge! LOL
Then the afternoon of their arrival I happened to go to turn on the garden hose in the backyard. It is located under our deck and so we have this handy little port hole that provides us with access. I lifted the deck board and began to reach down to turn on the hose when something caught my eye. Carie and the girls happened to be standing right beside me and she said that I about jumped out of my skin.
Well wouldn't you if you were greeted with this unexpectedly?
It was just hanging out and camouflaged quite nicely with the deck!
Since we happened to have our butterfly pavilion accessible we got it out and gave the butterfly (and a moth) a new home for a short time.
That is Abby's hand next to (on the outside) of the butterfly pavilion to show just how big this thing was. While we've been able to see butterflies of this size at the new butterfly exhibit at the zoo, we've never seen one like this in the wild. Spencer thinks that it escaped from the zoo!
Labels: Kids, Summer Days



3 Comments:
That must have been amazing for the kids. I saw sine butterflies hatch with a grade one class I was filling for, it was so neat and the kids were so excited.
That must have been amazing for the kids. I saw sine butterflies hatch with a grade one class I was filling for, it was so neat and the kids were so excited.
It's cool looking but I'd still have to say "ewwwww".
Post a Comment
<< Home