Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Poop Basics

Some would say the boy is "potty trained". We would say we are "parent trained".

He has no qualms about going potty in the potty. At home or away from home. The big potty. Standing up. We have even gotten used to the whole standing up requirement. Even the part where he thinks it is okay to not lift the toilet seat or better yet, lift it mid stream.

He even, on occasion, wakes up dry and then takes way too long (for my comfort level) to actually get to the bathroom to do his thing. All the while I imagine just how much pee he has stored up inside of him and how I really need him to stop being distracted.

As long as we keep on top of asking him to use the restroom he can stay dry all day. As long as he/they are in the routine, all is good. He doesn't need our assistance once he gets to the bathroom, but getting there is another story. If we are out of routine, all is still good as long as we escort him to the restroom on a certain interval. If we don’t, he is wet. Guaranteed. I can easily count on one hand the number of times he has initiated the potty effort. We’ve been doing this routine for months. Seems that we, the parents, train well! I'm hoping this will change soon, but honestly he could care less if he is wet.

The other part of this is, of course, the whole "poop training". Just like he doesn't care if he is wet, he could care less if he stinks.

As I was cleaning his stinky bottom the other day we talked about where poop comes from and where poop should go. He knows where poop should go. The first thing he does upon entering the restroom is announce "poop goes in the potty!"

So I ask him - "Spencer, where does your poop come from?"

Spencer - "From my toes!"

Perhaps we need to back this effort up a few steps and re-address the basics.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

That is so funny, from his toes. We had a hard time potty training Robbie. Although, poop cam easiest. One day after a year of training, where he only went if we took him. He announced he was a big boy who went to the potty on his own and would only wear underwear. In the next 24 hours he trained himself. I guess he had to be ready.

8:09 AM, June 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home