The Swing Of Summer
We are well into summer activities, even though it really doesn't (to me) feel like summer. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't feel like summer yet.
After having a week long break, the girls' started summer school. They just finished up week 1, and they absolutely love it. They've got 2 more weeks of fun ahead of them before moving onto the next summer activity, swimming lessons.
This summer school is pretty cool. Until recently, we didn't realize that there were different types of summer schools offered within our district. Carie and I refer to them as the "fun" summer school and the "mandatory" summer school. The girls' K teachers looked at us like we were nuts for signing them up for summer school until we told them what classes they chose. We kinda got the impression that they didn't even know about the "fun" summer school. Maybe because they are teaching the "mandatory" summer school? The kids go from Monday - Thursday and just in the morning. They still get to have free play at home all afternoon.
I have to say that I'm very excited about Abby's choice of classes... Fizzing Liquids & Math. Every day this week they have done fun experiments, some we've done at home and some not. Each day they get cooler! We thought the list of requested supplies was fascinating. It will be so much fun to see what they do over the next couple of weeks.
I'm not at all disappointed in Ellie's class, it just doesn't sound as fun as what Abby is doing. To me, summer should be all about fun! Ellie chose... reading and math. I do look forward to this continuation of reading experience to help build her self esteem. She is an excellent reader; she just needs to be reminded of that. Unfortunately (for Ellie), Abby can read anything you put in front of her (according to her teacher) and Ellie isn't quite at that level and thinks she should be. Most importantly, Ellie is quite excited about her class and she is having a great time. Though I'm not so sure how important class is now that she's found Adam... from last year's summer school experience.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home