You've Got To Be Kidding Me
What a weekend!
We had some really great moments! Going into the weekend we knew it was going to be a busy one, but a fun kind of busy. We celebrated the girls' birthday, spent some great time - with some incredible weather - at the zoo, went to our first (and probably last for a while ;)) swim competition and watched Olympic athletes compete, saw the theatre production of The Wizard Of Oz with some friends and then had a great dinner with them, and capped the weekend off with Grandpa, Grandma, Great Grandma and my mom’s cousin coming to our house and spending the day with us.
And now (of course) moving on to the not so great moments…
The kids are sick - again. We are all so tired of being sick. It feels like that is all we talk about anymore. Turn on the broken record... "How are the kids doing?"... "Oh, they are sick with (insert anything)".
This one I think we've linked back to their visit at the Children's Museum last Wednesday... exactly 3 wonderful days of incubation, which seems to be our usual timeline. Where else would we have picked up Hand, Foot & Mouth!?!? Saturday morning both Abby & Ellie were running fevers. By Sunday morning they mentioned that their throats hurt. Abby had mentioned the night before that she had a headache. We looked in their mouths and it didn't look pretty... swollen and irritated tonsils were the most prominent. So Carie took them into our (after hours) Urgent Care on Sunday afternoon. We tried Sunday morning only to realize that they didn't open until noon. The girls' weren't complaining much at all, they rarely do. We thought maybe... oh, I don't know... at worse it would be Strep Throat. HA! When Carie called me to tell me what was going on I was having a hard time hearing her. I was leaving a noisy grocery store, the reception wasn't that great, and my ears seem to be failing me lately. I swear I heard her say they had cancer of the mouth. Imagine my relief when it was just Hand, Foot & Mouth. Let's just hope that it didn't get passed onto any of our visitors we had on Sunday!
We've known about this disease but we've never experienced it firsthand. The girls managed to make it to 6 before having their first experience with it. Spencer now seems to be affected by it as well. We've had our share of illnesses in the past, but in this past school year we've come down with illnesses that the kids had never had before. We can be done expanding our disease repertoire, thank you very much.
Then the major event we had this weekend was the touchdown of an EF2 Tornado... with no warning... in the middle of the night... literally blocks from us.
I remember waking to use the restroom at 2:11, which is unusual for me to do in the middle of the night. I heard some storm activity, but it didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. At 2:28 I hear what I thought were the sirens. Both Carie and I bolted up and confirmed that we were hearing the same thing. On a normal night, I'm absolutely positive that I wouldn't have heard them... at all. I think Carie was grateful that she didn't have to wake me! We immediately try to figure out what is going on... and there was no coverage!
"... Without warning, in the dark of night, the first tornado to cause what may be the most significant damage in Omaha since the deadly, infamous tornado of 1975 landed in the metro area Sunday. It spun a nearly six-mile path of destruction, stripping fences in Chalco, ripping off roofs in Millard and downing trees and terrifying families across the city..."
The sirens ended up going off two times in our area. Unfortunately the tornado had already touched down, done its damage, and had moved on by the time the first siren had sounded. We did get the kids to the basement and they didn't even wake... on the way down or back up. Ellie says she did recall me asking her if they wanted to just sleep downstairs or go back to their beds. Around 4am we did a quick look around the exterior of our house and everything seemed to be okay so we called it a night. We got some nice phone calls early the next morning from folks who were worried about us. The most surprising call came from a parent of an old pre-school friend. They are such awesome people and it was so nice of them to think about us!
I still can't believe how close the severe damage is located to our home. It is incredible to witness the damage. While we’ve tried to be in touch with what is going on around us, we’ve also tried to limit the exposure to the kids. They are already freaked out and worried about the storms as it is.
Some of the local coverage can be found... here, here & here.
We had some really great moments! Going into the weekend we knew it was going to be a busy one, but a fun kind of busy. We celebrated the girls' birthday, spent some great time - with some incredible weather - at the zoo, went to our first (and probably last for a while ;)) swim competition and watched Olympic athletes compete, saw the theatre production of The Wizard Of Oz with some friends and then had a great dinner with them, and capped the weekend off with Grandpa, Grandma, Great Grandma and my mom’s cousin coming to our house and spending the day with us.
And now (of course) moving on to the not so great moments…
The kids are sick - again. We are all so tired of being sick. It feels like that is all we talk about anymore. Turn on the broken record... "How are the kids doing?"... "Oh, they are sick with (insert anything)".
This one I think we've linked back to their visit at the Children's Museum last Wednesday... exactly 3 wonderful days of incubation, which seems to be our usual timeline. Where else would we have picked up Hand, Foot & Mouth!?!? Saturday morning both Abby & Ellie were running fevers. By Sunday morning they mentioned that their throats hurt. Abby had mentioned the night before that she had a headache. We looked in their mouths and it didn't look pretty... swollen and irritated tonsils were the most prominent. So Carie took them into our (after hours) Urgent Care on Sunday afternoon. We tried Sunday morning only to realize that they didn't open until noon. The girls' weren't complaining much at all, they rarely do. We thought maybe... oh, I don't know... at worse it would be Strep Throat. HA! When Carie called me to tell me what was going on I was having a hard time hearing her. I was leaving a noisy grocery store, the reception wasn't that great, and my ears seem to be failing me lately. I swear I heard her say they had cancer of the mouth. Imagine my relief when it was just Hand, Foot & Mouth. Let's just hope that it didn't get passed onto any of our visitors we had on Sunday!
We've known about this disease but we've never experienced it firsthand. The girls managed to make it to 6 before having their first experience with it. Spencer now seems to be affected by it as well. We've had our share of illnesses in the past, but in this past school year we've come down with illnesses that the kids had never had before. We can be done expanding our disease repertoire, thank you very much.
Then the major event we had this weekend was the touchdown of an EF2 Tornado... with no warning... in the middle of the night... literally blocks from us.
I remember waking to use the restroom at 2:11, which is unusual for me to do in the middle of the night. I heard some storm activity, but it didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. At 2:28 I hear what I thought were the sirens. Both Carie and I bolted up and confirmed that we were hearing the same thing. On a normal night, I'm absolutely positive that I wouldn't have heard them... at all. I think Carie was grateful that she didn't have to wake me! We immediately try to figure out what is going on... and there was no coverage!
"... Without warning, in the dark of night, the first tornado to cause what may be the most significant damage in Omaha since the deadly, infamous tornado of 1975 landed in the metro area Sunday. It spun a nearly six-mile path of destruction, stripping fences in Chalco, ripping off roofs in Millard and downing trees and terrifying families across the city..."
The sirens ended up going off two times in our area. Unfortunately the tornado had already touched down, done its damage, and had moved on by the time the first siren had sounded. We did get the kids to the basement and they didn't even wake... on the way down or back up. Ellie says she did recall me asking her if they wanted to just sleep downstairs or go back to their beds. Around 4am we did a quick look around the exterior of our house and everything seemed to be okay so we called it a night. We got some nice phone calls early the next morning from folks who were worried about us. The most surprising call came from a parent of an old pre-school friend. They are such awesome people and it was so nice of them to think about us!
I still can't believe how close the severe damage is located to our home. It is incredible to witness the damage. While we’ve tried to be in touch with what is going on around us, we’ve also tried to limit the exposure to the kids. They are already freaked out and worried about the storms as it is.
Some of the local coverage can be found... here, here & here.



3 Comments:
Oh wow, the tornado stuff must have been terrifying! Sorry to hear the kids are sick too. I hope they're all feeling better soon.
wow. when it rains, it pours (literally) in your neck of the woods! i actually got coxsackie (sp?) myself a few years ago, when Harris got a very mild case of it. i got blisters on my feet and hands....but the worst were the sores in my mouth. went to the doctor, who very politely but ineffectively said: "you have coxsackie...nothing you can do but let it run its course." sigh...
hope all are feeling better!
What a heck of a weekend for you guys, geez. I hope that everyone's feeling a lot better now.
Post a Comment
<< Home