Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The First Week Of Kindergarten

School has started! Wow - was it a crazy week!

Monday, and since Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & another Monday have gone off without a hitch. They continue to be excited and a tad bit nervous. All their nervousness and fears are coming through in their actions, which is just lovely.

Saturday morning they were both quite unhappy that they weren’t going to school!

They are riding the bus, which has perks and the not-so-perks. The pick-up stop is just around the corner from our house and the drop off spot is in front of our house. They are both quite excited to be riding the bus. Spencer would love to ride the bus! Unfortunately, for him, he has to wait 3 more years. We signed up for the bus thing as a trial with hopes that it would work out. It is quite convenient and their route is short enough that they aren't on the bus an extended amount of time. The issues at the moment revolve around a neighbor girl, as we fully anticipated. It just is unfortunate that we weren't pleasantly surprised.

The week started out with great interest in taking their lunches. I'm certain the desire to use their new lunch bags was a motivating factor. Abby opted to give the "hot lunch" a try one day last week and that went over okay with her.

In the past we've heard stories about how bad school lunches are nutrition wise. If the August 2007 lunch menu is a true sample of what we are to see in the coming months I'll be quite shocked at just how bad it really is. I would in no way consider us "crunchy" or "health nuts", far far from it in reality. Quite regularly we eat the not so healthy stuff and the really bad for us stuff. But I also feel like we are capable of balancing out a meal and make it healthy. This menu though is at a whole new level for us. I would expect that an institution such as a school to provide a better meal plan and teach kids the nutritional elements to become healthy adults. The girls will eat the "hot lunch" provided by the school if they really want to, but we'll certainly be cheering for the packed lunch from home as often as they are up for it.

We are also being educated on the things Kindergarteners do and don't do. It is fascinating hearing about their day through their view!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I don't think school lunches ever get better. I guess it's the whole "cheapest, easiest to serve in bulk" thing. Hopefully, your kids will prefer to take their own!
It sounds like they are having a blast! What an amazing time in their lives!

11:41 AM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm so glad they had such a good first week. And I guess I won't complain about having to pack Brendan's lunch (not hot lunch in his school) considering the alternative.

12:35 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:58 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Rainbow Momma said...

Love it! Love the pics, too! Sydney's first day of kindergarten was yesterday (went haywire with pics here too LOL!). Can you believe it? As I write this comment, I can't even believe that I've know YOU that long. LOL!

10:49 AM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Casey said...

Sounds like things are going really well for them. YAY!!!

8:58 PM, August 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home