Thursday, October 19, 2006

School Conferences

Amazing how it is that time of the year already!

Wednesday evening we had an opportunity to meet with the teachers and discuss how they are doing in the school environment. And again... it seems that they are doing fantastic.

Both teachers had compared notes to get a feel for the differences between the girls. There's also a set of triplets that are divided between the classes. The identical girls are in Abby's classroom and the boy is in Ellie's classroom. I get the sense that the teachers have enjoyed getting to know them individually and identifying their similarities and differences. They have compared notes amongst themselves and are amazed. Both Carie and I felt like each teacher really knew each girl and what their individual strengths and preferences were. I think they can really see why we split them up during the school hour.

Everything they shared with us rang true in our own experiences with them. The way they act and participate in class, the way they complete projects, their artwork, etc... The differences in their artwork are like night and day. They could have put all of the information and projects in a pile and we could have easily sorted it all out into an Abby pile and an Ellie pile.

Oddly, I think I'm slightly disappointed. I didn't go into the conference with any expectations. I'm sure I had hoped that we would hear good reports and that they were good peers in their class. What parent doesn't want to hear that? We already know what the teachers’ objectives and priorities are. We know they focus on learning through play. We know what their educational objectives are for the year. We know this because we interviewed the center and made a choice to trust them with our children. And then I interact with the teachers every day at drop off and pick up. We place a high priority on being involved in their education and activities. While we left feeling great about each girl’s strengths and success, I think in the back of my mind I was hoping to hear something that we didn't already know. Though maybe it is better that there are no surprises. Maybe that is validation that we are actively involved in their lives. Maybe this is all good.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home