Friday, October 20, 2006

I Will Be Surprised!

It seems that Ellie is now old enough to keep a surprise a surprise.

Last night we were all at the mall. Carie had a quick signing to do and the kids and I checked out a few fun stores while she was doing her thing. Then we all went to dinner. After dinner it was time to head home. But I knew Carie had wanted to check out the new Target that was recently built at that mall, a mall that we very rarely frequent. So I suggested that if she'd like I'd take the kids home so she could go check it out. Surprisingly, she took me up on it! She asked the girls who they wanted to go with. Abby chose to go home with me (& Spencer, who didn't have a choice). Ellie chose to go with Carie.

It wasn't until we were parted that I figured out her motives. I should have been quicker on that one and shouldn't have even suggested that she re-enter the mall. My birthday is coming up and I suspect that she and Ellie went shopping for this event. That fact wasn't even on my mind, though I wish it had been! I don't really need anything!

Fast forward... Carie and Ellie return home and come upstairs where Spencer, Abby & I are reading books. Ellie and I have a conversation...

Me: Ellie, how was shopping?
Ellie: Good
Me: Did you get anything?
Ellie: Nope!
Me: (let me rephrase) Did Mommy buy anything?
Ellie: I can't tell you!
Me: Why not?
Ellie: Because it is a surprise
Me: (being all surprised) Wow, you got something for me? I can hardly wait to see what it is.
Ellie: You can wait! You only have to wait two days!

That little stinker could totally keep the surprise! Way to go Ellie!

Though, when we first got home Abby had to show me the books that they made that afternoon. She wanted to show me each page in detail. I wanted to act all interested but I also didn't know if that was supposed to be a surprise. So I asked Abby if they made the books for my birthday. Yes indeed they did. Oh well!

We ended up reading "their" books at bedtime. Ellie had made three of them and Abby had made one. They told me that there weren't any words in their books. We talked about how we could create our own stories to go with their pictures and how it takes an Author and an Illustrator to create a book.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home