Happy Birthday To You...
We started the morning off by letting Sonya sleep in a very tiny bit. We had scheduled hair cuts for all three kids and me at 10:00 am.
We arrived just on time and started with Spencer. He did so much better for his second hair cut than the first. He sat on my lap very calmly and let the hairdresser do her thing. He even let the hairdresser trim the back of his neck and over his ears with the clippers. He looks so grown up with freshly trimmed hair. I can’t believe how fast his hair grows. It looks like he will be scheduled for regular haircuts from now on.
Sonya took the kids home and I stayed for a quiet and peaceful haircut all by myself. When I got home Sonya was feeding Spencer lunch and had clearly been busy picking up and vacuuming. Thanks sweetie! My parents were in town for a funeral and they stopped by afterwards to have lunch with us. I ran Spencer upstairs for his nap and when I came back down, Abby, Ellie and the grown-ups had a yummy fried chicken lunch that my parents had brought over.
One of the highlights of the day for me…and I think Sonya…was getting to watch the Nebraska – Texas game. It actually started at 11:00, but through the magic of DVR we started the game at 1:00 and fast forwarded through all the commercials. The girls played (and watched a little Dora) while the grown-ups watched a great game.
The best part of the day? Spencer slept for the three hours. He has not been napping well recently, so this marathon nap was a huge surprise. After about two hours I went to make sure he was still breathing. He finally woke up in a great mood with about 4 minutes left in the game.
After the game was over my parents left and Sonya went to rest for awhile. I took the kids out to pick up a Dairy Queen cake. They were so excited they could hardly contain themselves. On our way home from DQ, I had the cake on the front seat. Abby was very concerned that the cake would fall on the floor.
Abby: “Mommy you have to hold the cake to keep it from falling.”
“Mommy, we’re turning the corner, hold onto the cake.
“Mommy, do you remember the big hill by our house? You have hold onto the cake so it doesn’t slide off the seat.”
We safely got the cake home and into the freezer and took Sonya out for pizza. Nothing too exciting, but we did go to Godfather’s for Sonya’s favorite Taco Pizza. We had a little salad while we waited for our pizza and Spencer was done sitting so he and I got up to walk around a bit. I thought I would ask someone what the ETA on our dinner was and discovered that our order had been lost. The girl remembered taking our order, but no one knew what happened to it after that. So we took the kids to play video games while we waited on our pizza. We pulled a chair over to the racing game and the girls took turns. One girl stood on the chair and drove while the other stood on the floor and worked the gas pedal. When the pizza finally arrived, everyone sat and ate a great dinner and then we were off for our “surprise”.
Throughout dinner Abby was so excited about the surprise that she could barely contain herself. The conversation when something like this:
Abby: “We have a surprise for you but we can’t tell you what it is.”
Sonya: “It’s ok to have surprises that you don’t tell me.”
Abby: “It’s a really good surprise. You are going to like it.”
Sonya: “I’ll bet it tastes yummy.” (being the smart cookie that she is, Sonya had already figured out the surprise when she heard me open the freezer door)
Abby: “It is! And, it has orange letters…and ice cream in the middle. But I can’t tell you what it is.”
As we were getting out of the van at home, the girls could hardly contain their excitement.
Ellie: “Can we have ice cream cake now?”
Sonya: “I thought you weren’t supposed to tell me about the surprise yet?”
Ellie: “I wasn’t asking you, I was asking Mommy.”
The girls and I got the cake out, put the candles in and we sang Happy Birthday to Momma. Spencer looked on in amazement at us and the cake as we sang. When we finished singing Spencer looked at us and belted out his own rendition of Happy Birthday that sounded remarkably like “Happy to you”. He appeared quite pleased with his version and clapped enthusiastically when he finished.
Spencer singing was too cute, so we did what any good parents would do. We lit candles in Abby, Ellie, and Spencer’s servings of cake and sang it all over again. Spencer joined the song with gusto and added a few upper body dance moves while he sat buckled in his high chair. For the rest of the night and through Sunday Spencer would periodically belt out a few bars of Happy Birthday. The boy does love music!
We love you Momma!
Happy Birthday
We arrived just on time and started with Spencer. He did so much better for his second hair cut than the first. He sat on my lap very calmly and let the hairdresser do her thing. He even let the hairdresser trim the back of his neck and over his ears with the clippers. He looks so grown up with freshly trimmed hair. I can’t believe how fast his hair grows. It looks like he will be scheduled for regular haircuts from now on.
Sonya took the kids home and I stayed for a quiet and peaceful haircut all by myself. When I got home Sonya was feeding Spencer lunch and had clearly been busy picking up and vacuuming. Thanks sweetie! My parents were in town for a funeral and they stopped by afterwards to have lunch with us. I ran Spencer upstairs for his nap and when I came back down, Abby, Ellie and the grown-ups had a yummy fried chicken lunch that my parents had brought over.
One of the highlights of the day for me…and I think Sonya…was getting to watch the Nebraska – Texas game. It actually started at 11:00, but through the magic of DVR we started the game at 1:00 and fast forwarded through all the commercials. The girls played (and watched a little Dora) while the grown-ups watched a great game.
The best part of the day? Spencer slept for the three hours. He has not been napping well recently, so this marathon nap was a huge surprise. After about two hours I went to make sure he was still breathing. He finally woke up in a great mood with about 4 minutes left in the game.
After the game was over my parents left and Sonya went to rest for awhile. I took the kids out to pick up a Dairy Queen cake. They were so excited they could hardly contain themselves. On our way home from DQ, I had the cake on the front seat. Abby was very concerned that the cake would fall on the floor.
Abby: “Mommy you have to hold the cake to keep it from falling.”
“Mommy, we’re turning the corner, hold onto the cake.
“Mommy, do you remember the big hill by our house? You have hold onto the cake so it doesn’t slide off the seat.”
We safely got the cake home and into the freezer and took Sonya out for pizza. Nothing too exciting, but we did go to Godfather’s for Sonya’s favorite Taco Pizza. We had a little salad while we waited for our pizza and Spencer was done sitting so he and I got up to walk around a bit. I thought I would ask someone what the ETA on our dinner was and discovered that our order had been lost. The girl remembered taking our order, but no one knew what happened to it after that. So we took the kids to play video games while we waited on our pizza. We pulled a chair over to the racing game and the girls took turns. One girl stood on the chair and drove while the other stood on the floor and worked the gas pedal. When the pizza finally arrived, everyone sat and ate a great dinner and then we were off for our “surprise”.
Throughout dinner Abby was so excited about the surprise that she could barely contain herself. The conversation when something like this:
Abby: “We have a surprise for you but we can’t tell you what it is.”
Sonya: “It’s ok to have surprises that you don’t tell me.”
Abby: “It’s a really good surprise. You are going to like it.”
Sonya: “I’ll bet it tastes yummy.” (being the smart cookie that she is, Sonya had already figured out the surprise when she heard me open the freezer door)
Abby: “It is! And, it has orange letters…and ice cream in the middle. But I can’t tell you what it is.”
As we were getting out of the van at home, the girls could hardly contain their excitement.
Ellie: “Can we have ice cream cake now?”
Sonya: “I thought you weren’t supposed to tell me about the surprise yet?”
Ellie: “I wasn’t asking you, I was asking Mommy.”
The girls and I got the cake out, put the candles in and we sang Happy Birthday to Momma. Spencer looked on in amazement at us and the cake as we sang. When we finished singing Spencer looked at us and belted out his own rendition of Happy Birthday that sounded remarkably like “Happy to you”. He appeared quite pleased with his version and clapped enthusiastically when he finished.
Spencer singing was too cute, so we did what any good parents would do. We lit candles in Abby, Ellie, and Spencer’s servings of cake and sang it all over again. Spencer joined the song with gusto and added a few upper body dance moves while he sat buckled in his high chair. For the rest of the night and through Sunday Spencer would periodically belt out a few bars of Happy Birthday. The boy does love music!
We love you Momma!
Happy Birthday
Labels: Family



6 Comments:
Sweetie - Thanks for making my birthday so special! You always are so awesome to ensure that I've had a great birthday day.
Thanks for fixing the Satellite so we COULD watch the much desired football game!
Thanks for my special birthday cake and all the awesome memories that we hope to hold on to. Abby wanted SO badly to tell me what the surprise was. As soon as I commented that it was sure going to be yummy both she and Ellie were very interested in telling me all the details... the "icing", the color, the ice cream...
And then there is Spencer who really has no idea what a birthday is. He had a great time! Now everytime he sees the birthday candles he sings "Happy to".
Happy, Happy Birthday Sonya!! May the year ahead bring you good things too many to count and love to much to hold.
happy birthday sonya...sounds like a great day with your 'surprises'
Happy Birthday Sonya. It sounds like a great day was had by all. I loved hearing about the day and the kids' reactions through Carie's telling.
Happy Birthday Sonya!!
Happy Happy Birthday! I didn't realize how close our birthday's were!
Post a Comment
<< Home