Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Boy - Month 18

There is no denying it; you are full on toddler boy. You walk (or run rather), you talk, and you act like a toddler. You are everything and more than we could have ever hoped to have in a son. Watching your relationship with your sisters' develop is rewarding and amazing. They both love you more than life. They love to play with you, hug you, kiss you, and look after you.

You continue to be precocious. You always want what the big kids have and you are intent in letting us know. You don't think you need sippy cups anymore and request that we take the lid off. You hand us your cup and say "off" continuously until you think we get it. The amazing thing is that when you are actually drinking out of the cup you do remarkably well. It is those times when you aren't drinking that the problems creep in. You always want to do art projects with the big kids, which would be wonderful if you would stop eating the supplies. Markers are by far your preference. It is difficult to color with markers that no longer have tips to them! I often hear Mommy asking the kids "who would like xyz". You have begun chiming in "ME" right along with the big kids, and you absolutely know that you are including yourself in the action. At times you don't even need to be asked if you'd like something. You'll bring something to us and say "ME".

If you want something, you go after it. There is no holding you back. While I love watching your spark and your drive, I'd love for you to stay out of the bathroom sink, off the dining table, and out of the craft drawers. You love baths and showers and you think you can give yourself a bath by climbing into the bathroom sink and turning on the water. When Mommy finds you, you look up at her with joy and say "bath". You have realized though that you do need our assistance with a bath in the bath tub and if we aren't coming quick enough, you run back and forth between us and the bathroom encouraging us to hurry up. Showers, forget it. If I'm in a hurry and want to shower alone, I must sneak a shower. Otherwise I am guaranteed to have company. You realize that your socks should come off before getting into the shower but you don't seem concerned at all about your jammies or diaper. We can mention "socks off" and you'll sit and take your socks off. We can mention "clothes off" and nothing happens. We aren't used to children who are okay with keeping their clothes on!


You want to "help me" a lot! This phrase means two things for you. When you've reached a point where you need help, you say to us "help me". Of course then we do help you. Who could deny the adorable request? And we thank you for holding back on the tantrum during these potentially frustrating moments. A lot of the time you say "help me" when you want to help us do something. If we are in the kitchen making something, anything, we can guarantee a "help me" from you.

We've noticed, in this last month in particular, that you have begun using the sign for more, more often. You've known this sign for quite some time but chose not to use it. But now, you'll sign for more while saying the "more" along with whatever it is you asking for. I love the look on your face when you get that we get what you are saying.

Books, marbles, balls, and balloons are still easily your favorite objects in this world. It is amazing watching you pull out a book and read to yourself. I also love it when you come to us, back up toward us, and plop in our lap with a book hoping we'll read to you. Your love for books is so amazing that we continue to keep your bookshelf in the hallway so you aren't disturbed with the excitement in the middle of the night. Marbles, balls, and balloons... well, anything round and bouncy in nature is well accepted and sought out by you. You've got an excellent arm and an amazing soccer kick. Though, we'd love it if you would stop practicing your throwing skills with objects that should not be thrown.

You've got groove and I'm positive you didn't get it from your Momma. It doesn't matter where we are, you hear music and you start dancing. You know "the map" song from Dora. A recent family favorite movie has been the Pooh's Heffalump movie. You know several songs from this movie, with your favorite lyrics being "what would you do". I personally love this movie and enjoy listening to the music throughout the movie. I love listening to the three of you recite the words and songs. If you didn't have hand-me-down Halloween costumes from your sisters, I'm pretty sure you would be a Heffalump (Lumpy) for Halloween.

Your favorite color is purple! I wasn't sure if you were able to associate it to a specific color. At first I thought you just loved saying "purple". But this morning you clearly wanted your scrambled eggs in the purple bowl and you knew which one that was. You were quite pleased!

Your best friend at the moment is your "Paci". I'm not sure where you picked up on this term since we've always referred to it as your binky. But alas, your Paci is your ultimate friend and comfort item. The more the better! You like to have one in your mouth and at least one in each hand. It is fascinating watching you evaluate them and rotate them in and out of your mouth. Clearly, they all taste different! The other day when I went to get you after your nap I found you lounging in your crib sharing your beloved Paci's with your teddy bear. You were rotating them for bear too. The nurturing side of you has really come out this month. You've really shown interest in feeding bottles to the million baby dolls we have in this house. You cuddle them gently and offer them the bottle just as you like your bottle.

The words, oh the words. We've been remiss in keeping track of a formal list, but your language continues to explode. We've really noticed this past month that you've been putting more words together in your effort to communicate to us. You've also gotten really good at identifying your body parts. I'm so thrilled with this since you've known only one body part for the longest time. And, well, that one body part was less than appropriate to share in public. Although, every time it made an appearance you had to announce its existence. I think Mommy was mortified that I taught you this.

You've been toying off and on with switching up your nap routine. This past week we've started to see you settle into a new routine of one mid-day nap. Some days are more successful than others, but it appears to be a good move for you.


Cool Slideshows

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow look at your gorgeous big boy he sounds so fabulous

6:24 AM, October 27, 2006  
Blogger Gandksmom said...

Gosh...what beautiful pictures! He is sooo grown up!

1:52 PM, October 27, 2006  
Blogger Denise said...

Sonya and Carie,

What a cutie!! He has really become a little boy hasn't he! It shows in his pcitures - wow!! And what a beautifully written tribute to his 18 month old being!!

WTG gals, you are dong such a great mama job.

2:22 PM, October 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home