On Sand Boxes
The addition of a sand box is complete!
We have lived up to expectations and as with any other project in our house, this was no small project. Upon arriving home with the materials I had chosen to build the sand box, I received mucho harassment from Carie and a couple of the neighbors. I knew Carie was joking (she knew what I was getting) but I'm sure the neighbors seriously thought I was crazy. Over the past couple of weeks we've leveled out the yard and got the frame assembled. We are quite tired of leveling out our yard. Our next house needs to come with a flat yard!
Friday afternoon a truck dropped off 3 tons of sand at the end of our driveway. Surely the neighbors are used to this by now. Each summer we seem to fill our driveway with large piles of various materials for the latest project. After the last project we vowed to never do it again. Yet here we are. Carie commented, more than once, that she was having flashbacks from our last major project entitled "the pit".
So, it is Friday evening and we had 3 tons of dry sand staring at us. Saturday morning it rained. Saturday afternoon we managed to finish excavating the dirt to make room for the sand. This was supposed to be done before the sand arrived, but during the week we got sidetracked with the addition of a large playhouse. Saturday late afternoon, it rained. Sunday morning I think it rained again. The new plan was to move sand while Mr. Spencer took an awesome nap. The boy took a nap though it was not awesome. The bulk of the sand was moved while herding our 3 children and the neighbor girls who always lead our girls astray. Boy was that productive!
Oh... did I mention that my bright idea was to build the sand box under the deck? Yeah, it happens to be a great spot for so many reasons, except when you are trying to level the ground and fill the box. We knew it would be a challenge. But it sucked!
The sand... 3 tons of it. When dry it equals 6,000 lbs. After 3 rounds of rain showers, it is now quite wet and not draining fast enough. So... 6,000lbs + the wet factor = some damn heavy sand! Then add 30-100lbs of kid weight to each round trip, aka the herding factor. Let's just say that I'm done! My arms were like noodles in the end and my body is still screaming at me today. Carie was quite helpful and I know she is feeling it as well!
So... ground is leveled, frame is built, sand is in. Phase 2 will be beautifying the area around the sand box... someday. It is not a pleasant view today, but the kids could really care less. They have sand to play in!
I hope they like it for a long long time! After they outgrow it, it will not be moved by me.
We have lived up to expectations and as with any other project in our house, this was no small project. Upon arriving home with the materials I had chosen to build the sand box, I received mucho harassment from Carie and a couple of the neighbors. I knew Carie was joking (she knew what I was getting) but I'm sure the neighbors seriously thought I was crazy. Over the past couple of weeks we've leveled out the yard and got the frame assembled. We are quite tired of leveling out our yard. Our next house needs to come with a flat yard!
Friday afternoon a truck dropped off 3 tons of sand at the end of our driveway. Surely the neighbors are used to this by now. Each summer we seem to fill our driveway with large piles of various materials for the latest project. After the last project we vowed to never do it again. Yet here we are. Carie commented, more than once, that she was having flashbacks from our last major project entitled "the pit".
So, it is Friday evening and we had 3 tons of dry sand staring at us. Saturday morning it rained. Saturday afternoon we managed to finish excavating the dirt to make room for the sand. This was supposed to be done before the sand arrived, but during the week we got sidetracked with the addition of a large playhouse. Saturday late afternoon, it rained. Sunday morning I think it rained again. The new plan was to move sand while Mr. Spencer took an awesome nap. The boy took a nap though it was not awesome. The bulk of the sand was moved while herding our 3 children and the neighbor girls who always lead our girls astray. Boy was that productive!
Oh... did I mention that my bright idea was to build the sand box under the deck? Yeah, it happens to be a great spot for so many reasons, except when you are trying to level the ground and fill the box. We knew it would be a challenge. But it sucked!
The sand... 3 tons of it. When dry it equals 6,000 lbs. After 3 rounds of rain showers, it is now quite wet and not draining fast enough. So... 6,000lbs + the wet factor = some damn heavy sand! Then add 30-100lbs of kid weight to each round trip, aka the herding factor. Let's just say that I'm done! My arms were like noodles in the end and my body is still screaming at me today. Carie was quite helpful and I know she is feeling it as well!
So... ground is leveled, frame is built, sand is in. Phase 2 will be beautifying the area around the sand box... someday. It is not a pleasant view today, but the kids could really care less. They have sand to play in!
I hope they like it for a long long time! After they outgrow it, it will not be moved by me.



5 Comments:
Ummm..photo please. I have to see this! What a feat! Congrats on getting it done. Wow!
Lucky kids! We have a little turtle sandbox that will just have to do!
Sonya
I am not going to let Wendy read your blog to give her anymore ideas lol! She is the outside idea person too and we have not had 3 tons of sand yet but she wants to level the ground. But it is just way to hot right now.
Photo please for sure! Sounds like a crazy project to me!!!
3 tons of sand? Wow, I am impressed. Brendan would love to come out and play there. We need pics. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home