What Am I Missing?
The buzz lately seems to be... Internet security and who's accessing your blog and why?
I'm told that all it takes is a Google search on a key word for folks to stumble across your blog. Makes sense.
So I've tried to find our blog in this manner using key words that I know I have used. You'd be surprised how many folks write about "missing socks"! :) Far more interesting and readable than any result yielded from "processed muffins"!
But alas, I can't seem to locate my blog amongst the search results... unless I'm giving up to soon and I'm listed somewhere after page 21.
So far, the only way I have been able to locate our blog amongst the search engines is by typing in the name. And then I'm only finding some the links to our site (from Rae, Rainbow Momma, Laura, and someone I don't even know... Mombian)... not our actual site. I also know several other folks who have links to us off of their site.
I wonder if the way I have our blog settings set up is affecting this. I don't have our blog listed as public, though according to blogger... "If you select "No" we will not show your blog anywhere on Blogger.com, but it will still be available on the Internet". Or maybe we are just that unpopular and boring that the search engine knows to skip right over us. ;)
This is all fine by me. I'm not concerned about how many folks do or don't visit my site. I love my readers and their comments... THANK YOU very much. But I want you to come here because you want to, not because I lured you.
In the mean time I've installed Stat Counter on our site. Guess we'll soon see how the experienced web searchers access our site... because I can't seem to figure it out. Though I've never claimed to be a master at searching the Internet. Carie is far FAR better at it than I am. Maybe I'll learn something. Maybe I'll get the bejezus scared out of me and I'll feel the need to be more Internet secure.
Time will tell. Till then, enjoy!
I'm told that all it takes is a Google search on a key word for folks to stumble across your blog. Makes sense.
So I've tried to find our blog in this manner using key words that I know I have used. You'd be surprised how many folks write about "missing socks"! :) Far more interesting and readable than any result yielded from "processed muffins"!
But alas, I can't seem to locate my blog amongst the search results... unless I'm giving up to soon and I'm listed somewhere after page 21.
So far, the only way I have been able to locate our blog amongst the search engines is by typing in the name. And then I'm only finding some the links to our site (from Rae, Rainbow Momma, Laura, and someone I don't even know... Mombian)... not our actual site. I also know several other folks who have links to us off of their site.
I wonder if the way I have our blog settings set up is affecting this. I don't have our blog listed as public, though according to blogger... "If you select "No" we will not show your blog anywhere on Blogger.com, but it will still be available on the Internet". Or maybe we are just that unpopular and boring that the search engine knows to skip right over us. ;)
This is all fine by me. I'm not concerned about how many folks do or don't visit my site. I love my readers and their comments... THANK YOU very much. But I want you to come here because you want to, not because I lured you.
In the mean time I've installed Stat Counter on our site. Guess we'll soon see how the experienced web searchers access our site... because I can't seem to figure it out. Though I've never claimed to be a master at searching the Internet. Carie is far FAR better at it than I am. Maybe I'll learn something. Maybe I'll get the bejezus scared out of me and I'll feel the need to be more Internet secure.
Time will tell. Till then, enjoy!



3 Comments:
Sonya, well done. That stats counter is hard to install. I can not believe how many people have visited, wow!
Hi, Sonya. Since you commented on my link to your blog, I thought I'd introduce myself. My partner of twelve years and I are moms to our wonderful two-year-old boy. I'm currently staying at home with him, but worked in online marketing/strategy before that. I'm writing Mombian and doing a few other Web projects to keep my intellectual neurons firing. I came across your site while looking for blogs of other lesbian moms. (We're living in a pretty lesbian-free area right now.) Hope you don't mind the link.
Regards,
Dana
Sonya, I just added that stat counter too. I have been finding the results a bit interesting but wonder why anyone in Madrid with an all spanish blog would be visiting mine.
I was found my someone under a keyword search of two moms and I did see several other blogs I read including yours on that list.
I haven't looked at the Key Words seached data yet. I just installed the counter yesterday.
The very funny thing is the only person that I have ever actually told about my blog is Robyn, but I'm getting hits now! Not sure I'm saying anything interesting though.
Post a Comment
<< Home