Thursday, August 20, 2009

Reconciling The Expense Of Texting

Yesterday afternoon we finally had Abby & Ellie's 7 year well check... just a couple of months late.

The crazy thing is that we had it scheduled for shortly after their birthday. Then with all the craziness of the accident and subsequent appointments we cancelled. Because seriously, we had enough other appointments scheduled that we didn't need this on our plates. Right? Ultimately, it didn't matter! We should have just done it back then. Over the past couple of weeks we have had no less than 3 appointments a week, plus school events, plus PTA events, now school is back in session and soccer started last night. Craziness!

So during the appointment their Pediatrician and I are chatting about various things while the girls were being shy, silly, and pretending to be their guinea pigs. The shyness was because they absolutely did not want to go, even though they knew there wouldn't be shots. According to Ellie "you just never know what surprises there may be". I get why Abby didn’t want to go, she is just done with appointments. I can’t blame her.

So at some point in the conversation I was trying to casually clarify a slight concern with their Ped so she understood what angle our concern was coming from. A couple of months ago we were going to call in and discuss this with the Ped prior to the appointment so we weren’t bringing it up in front of the girls. Then on the way to the appointment yesterday Carie happened to remember this plan of a couple of months ago. Ooops! We decided it wasn’t the big deal that it seemed to be a few months ago, but we would still casually make note of it. Amazing how things change in a matter of a couple of months!

As the Ped and I were talking I mentioned something about how it doesn't do any good to spell out the words, which didn’t surprise her in the least. I then said that we've been through a phase where we would omit vowels and our most recent tactic was spelling words backwards. All of that would work if we were trying to fool Spencer who is a full 3 years younger, but nothing works with the girls anymore. The Ped laughed and said she hadn't thought about omitting vowels before.

Then without knowing it, she gave me a great tip! She said that we'll have to text each other!

Now I'm sure this isn't a new revelation to a lot of people. However, we are too cheap to pay for a data package, thus we don't text, and thus this simple option never occurred to us.

But perhaps we should realize that we are in fact trying to teach them to be smarter than us and ultimately we aren’t going to be able to get anything past them. So perhaps we should at least consider the options of the 21st Century!

Or we could continue to humor ourselves and try to outwit them.

The appointment itself was fairly non-eventful. The traditional height, weight, blood pressure, etc… Every single ear looked fantastic… a first! Anything else of concern we are already addressing with specialist or have upcoming appointments where we will address with a specialist.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Hmm, texting is a good idea! :) And I loved what Ellie said, "you just never know what surprises there may be". Smart and funny kid.

Sounds like you are crazy busy!!

2:15 PM, August 20, 2009  
Blogger K J and the kids said...

I don't know how to text. I mean, I know how to type, but to get to that screen on my phone. no clue.
Glad things went well.

9:13 AM, August 24, 2009  
Blogger gabrielle said...

text sounds a good idea, then when they are older it's a good way to communicate with them sometimes. There are times Bella doesn't want to chat about something but a little later she will text with me instead

1:49 AM, September 04, 2009  
Blogger Jess said...

what a great idea!

8:39 AM, October 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home