Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Anxiety

There are more stories and certainly more pictures of our summer adventures.

I even got super lucky that my camera was spared after I left it outside to endure a torrential downpour last weekend. At the time I thought it would be great to get pics of (most of) the kids after they rolled around in the mud that used to be our yard. Thanks slip-n-slide! They had such a blast and it was hilarious to watch. Everyone had to have a quick hose down before they were allowed to enter their cars or our house. Other parents rules, not ours. But yeah, they were that dirty. And then somehow I was distracted and the camera got left outside.














For now, all that will all have to wait.

Our focus is on what is ahead of us.

We have been inundated with first day of school preparations! To say that we are a bit overwhelmed and anxious with the fact that tomorrow is Abby & Ellie’s first day would be a gross understatement. It wasn’t supposed to be that way this year. After all they are going into 2nd grade! We have a great school, a great support system at school, we love the teacher assignments, and the kids are excited! What more can ya ask for? But thanks to the accident, it is a bit nerve wracking. We now know anxiety like we’ve never known before. I think we’ve done everything possible to prepare everyone for tomorrow morning. Nine more hours till the bell rings!

Spencer’s first day of his last year of preschool begins on Thursday. We are more excited than nervous about this transition. I guess we’ll see what Thursday afternoon brings!

***************

A couple of quick stories that stand out…

Abby has been on this kick lately that she is not a “kid”. Anything relating to being a “kid” is beyond her. Heaven forbid she use colors at a restaurant because those are for kids. Heaven forbid she has a “kid cone” from McD’s because clearly mom, it is a “kid cone”. The name says it all! And we are horrible terrible parents because we won’t allow her to walk down to the park by herself. I mean really! She is almost 8 years old and 8 year olds are “young adults” ya know. What a great opportunity to remind her that she has TEN MONTHS to go before she actually turns 8. Let’s enjoy 7 for a while, shall we!

Ellie, our sweet sweet Ellie. Unfortunately I can’t go into all the specifics. Let’s just say that she’s been paying attention at our appointments and she is taking her role very seriously! Sunday afternoon we were at
CoCo Key, our last big hurrah of the summer, and Ellie recognized a scenario that she felt she ought to talk Abby through. It was super sweet and hilarious all at the same time.

Spencer, boy oh boy. Yesterday after one of our many appointments it was very much lunch time. So I suggested we all (Carie and I + our 3 kids + 2 daycare kids) go get some lunch. You read that right! 2 adults + 5 kids ages 4-7 at a doctor's appointment... and it was a success. It really can be done! We are sitting at the table enjoying lunch when Spencer (sitting between Carie and I) pipes up loud and clear (to Ben who is sitting across from him). “Hey, Ben has a penis! I have a penis! We are best friends!” I sure hope he enhances his criteria as he ages!

Oh and Spencer's new name seems to be Buddy or Bud. Sure, we sometimes call him bud, buddy, or dude. Like hey bud, how are you doing? But we never meant for it to replace his given name. As of recent it seems that the kids only call him buddy. Last night we were at Open House and the kids got the Principal on board to calling him buddy. Then this morning I asked the kids whose turn it was to play the Wii. In unison all the kids respond "Beth's & Buddy's".

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I'm sure the first day of school is going to be hard. I'll be thinking of you all.

The stories about the kids are cute and I really laughed at Spencer's penis comment. Hilarious!

12:21 PM, August 12, 2009  
Blogger Tanya said...

Very cute. And sounds like a good reason to be bff's. :)

1:50 PM, August 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home