Basketball Finale
Spencer's last basketball game of the season was this past weekend. That was a good thing.
He was so dang excited to play basketball. We heard about basketball nonstop leading up to the start of the season. Then it was time to play and the excitement was covered up in nerves. He did play, he played a lot, he had a great time, and he did awesome!
But we saw the same patterns we saw with swimming lessons. He talks like he loves it but when it comes to actually doing it, the love doesn't show. Even as we were pulling into the parking lot for the last game he told us he didn't want to play. But he went in on his own free will (as always) and he had a great time (as always). We won't be signing him up for the next session of basketball. Maybe we will do it again, someday. But not next month.
But really, his hesitation is only part of it. I was disappointed with the group of kids he was with and even more so the program. This is only our 2nd experience with the Y and I have to say that I was way less than impressed this go around. I need to speak up and let them know!
His whole team really struggled. There were 9 kids on his team and I'd be hard pressed to find many that really genuinely wanted to play. Carie and I coached one week and it was hard! That was a really hard hour to get through! Thankfully that particular week the coach on the other team was awesome and we had similar ideas... like not tackling each other for the ball or stealing the ball from the other team or more importantly your own players. I mean yeah, stealing the ball is what happens in real basketball. But these kiddos are just learning how to dribble the ball.
There were so many kids who truly did not want to be there. Nerves, maybe? But even when they were (willingly) on the court they seemed like they could care less. Like they just didn't want to be there. My focus was giving them high fives for being vertical! It's hard (and dangerous) to play basketball when you are lying on the court. Unfortunately, for one of the boys it seemed plausible that the parents signed him up to get him active. He just wasn't interested in moving his body! It took both Carie and I to get the kids moving and then moving in the right direction was the next challenge. But a welcome challenge!
So, this is the temporary end of organized basketball for us. Who knows what is in our future!
He was so dang excited to play basketball. We heard about basketball nonstop leading up to the start of the season. Then it was time to play and the excitement was covered up in nerves. He did play, he played a lot, he had a great time, and he did awesome!
But we saw the same patterns we saw with swimming lessons. He talks like he loves it but when it comes to actually doing it, the love doesn't show. Even as we were pulling into the parking lot for the last game he told us he didn't want to play. But he went in on his own free will (as always) and he had a great time (as always). We won't be signing him up for the next session of basketball. Maybe we will do it again, someday. But not next month.
But really, his hesitation is only part of it. I was disappointed with the group of kids he was with and even more so the program. This is only our 2nd experience with the Y and I have to say that I was way less than impressed this go around. I need to speak up and let them know!
His whole team really struggled. There were 9 kids on his team and I'd be hard pressed to find many that really genuinely wanted to play. Carie and I coached one week and it was hard! That was a really hard hour to get through! Thankfully that particular week the coach on the other team was awesome and we had similar ideas... like not tackling each other for the ball or stealing the ball from the other team or more importantly your own players. I mean yeah, stealing the ball is what happens in real basketball. But these kiddos are just learning how to dribble the ball.
There were so many kids who truly did not want to be there. Nerves, maybe? But even when they were (willingly) on the court they seemed like they could care less. Like they just didn't want to be there. My focus was giving them high fives for being vertical! It's hard (and dangerous) to play basketball when you are lying on the court. Unfortunately, for one of the boys it seemed plausible that the parents signed him up to get him active. He just wasn't interested in moving his body! It took both Carie and I to get the kids moving and then moving in the right direction was the next challenge. But a welcome challenge!
So, this is the temporary end of organized basketball for us. Who knows what is in our future!
The preferred method of playing basketball...
Sideline entertaining lead by Carie...
Labels: Kid Activities, The Boy



1 Comments:
Cute pictures.
Too bad the basketball program wasn't better.
Post a Comment
<< Home