Monday, December 08, 2008

Not Just Another 1/2 Birthday

This weekend the girls reached another milestone. They are now 6 1/2 years old!

While it doesn't seem possible, it is very much reality.

We do make note of 1/2 birthdays in our house. It has never been a "big deal" celebrated with cake, parties, gifts, streamers, etc...

It's always been more of an honorable mention. Something we make note of. A simple little happy family day, if you will.

Somewhere along the way that wasn't what was anticipated. It was, after all, their six and a half birthday. Thankfully they weren't asking for a party or even gifts. But it did seem that balloons were quite high on the priority list. Easy enough! And we already had plans to go out to dinner so it was easy to think of it as a 1/2 birthday dinner out.

So all in all, we had a busy day but we managed to pull it off. I think.

I should have been prepared for what was yet to come. Last Friday Ellie's teacher e-mailed me mentioning that she had been talking about her upcoming 1/2 birthday. She asked if we wanted to celebrate her 1/2 birthday given that her birthday falls into the "summer birthday" category... just a week after school is out. Carie and I talked it over and decided to wait until the end of the school year. Given past experiences, the fact that we hadn't talked with either of them about their choices and it seemed that we should celebrate in both classrooms if we were going to do it. It seemed wise just to wait. We were on board. Ellie's teacher was quite cool with the plan. We talked with the girls about it. We thought everything was good.

Then this morning, out of the blue, they were both prepared to celebrate at school... today.


Thankfully we have such a good connection with their teachers, are easily able to reach out to them, and they are so responsive! A new plan was created first thing this morning and both teachers were very cool with it. Carie and Spencer set out to run some errands and picked up the requested classroom treats. They were delivered in plenty of time for their special school celebration. I can't wait to hear how it all turned out!

Happy 1/2 Birthday Abby & Ellie! You both are both wonderful in your own way. As sisters you have an incredible bond and understanding of one another. As individuals, you are so unlike the other. We love you very much for who you are.



Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Such beautiful girls.

5:43 PM, December 08, 2008  
Blogger Shannon said...

The photos are absolutely beautiful. Good job on saving the school celebration in the nick of time!!

7:26 PM, December 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonya - they are getting so big! And are just beautiful!
I love that you celebrate 1/2 birthdays. That's such a cool idea!

Hope all is well with you! I'm trying to catch up with all of my blogger buddies. I'm a little behind.

11:33 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

happy half birthday Abby & Ellie!

12:43 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger gabrielle said...

happy 1/2 birthday to the girls, gorgeous pics of all three. In answer to your fairy book question I think every girl in Harriet's class is in to them, there seems to be alot of book swapping going on. I have Harriet keep a list of those she has read as I often have text from people who are birthday or xmas shopping wanting to know which ones she has read. She loves the website too.

5:16 AM, December 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home