Cheerleading!?!?
Abby shared some interesting information this weekend that stopped both Carie and I in our tracks.
She was talking with us about friends, school, and recess. It was a really great conversation, right up until she told us what she and a few classmates do during outdoor recess. Well, the conversation was good after too, but you know what I mean.
They "practice cheerleading"!
Whoa, what? I swear I could feel my insides want to hurl.
But, “Oh yeah!” and “Who do you practice cheerleading with?” came out confidently and with a smile.
I don't really have anything against cheerleaders, per se. I just can't relate. That just so isn't me, or even us. We were “The Band Geeks”. It really doesn't even seem to fit Abby's personality. Ellie, more so – yes way more so than Abby.
But, it is just recess and girls having fun. Right!?!?!?
By all accounts, it seems as though Abby has found a clique. I’m glad she is having fun. I’m not yet sure how I feel about this little group they have. Not necessarily for what they are doing (the practicing cheerleading bit), but the nature of forming this little exclusive group whereby other friends could participate if they were granted “permission”. Yeah, red flags are going off everywhere.
Other contributing factors…
● I do happen to know the other 3 girls and really like one of them. She has been over for a play date now and again. I don’t know the other 2 well enough. Looks like a play date is in order!
● All 3 of them are quite a bit older; I believe the oldest in the class. At this age, I think a solid year to a year and a half is a large variance. It wasn’t like the girls’ just made the cutoff either. I know that M is 1 year and 1-2 months older, J is 10 months older, and the other J (I believe) is closer to 1 ½ yrs older.
● I also know that 2 of them are heavily influenced by their older siblings, which I believe makes a huge difference.
● I suspect that these other 2 girls are the “ringleaders”. One girls mom is the one who knows everything about everyone, as discovered at a birthday party early in the school year. Amazing, truly amazing!
● Abby is also significantly smaller** than these other girls, especially the two of them. But these two are bigger (not specifically in weight) than all of their peers.
● I’ve had thoughts of concern in the past about how they view Abby as “cute, tiny, and huggable like a bear”.
We must investigate more!
** Abby’s size is perfectly normal and healthy. She’s (well, both Abby & Ellie) have always leaned towards the middle of the percentiles. But I tell ya, there are some big kids in Kindergarten. They tower over our girls in height and size. Spencer will be one of those friends who towers over his classmates, even if he is on the younger end of the range.



1 Comments:
ahhh girls and cliques. Investigating more is never a bad thing.
I don't know what I would do if I had a little girl who became interested in cheerleading.
We hated the cheerleaders.
Post a Comment
<< Home