Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Swim Lessons - Week 2

So... We weren't really sure how swimming lessons would go last night. In reality, we weren't really sure they would happen at all for the boy. If that was best, we were really okay with it. We just couldn't get a solid read from him on what would be best. So we forged ahead and planned to evaluate as we went.

The girls are a no brainer. They are super jazzed about Tuesdays and Thursday's because they get to go to swimming lessons. They are so confident and getting so independent that we really don't do a whole lot other than show up and help them shower at the end.

Part of the tough part for Mr. Spencer is that Abby & Ellie's lessons start 15 minutes earlier than his does, giving him 15 more minutes to get all worked up over it. I tried distracting him last night and it didn't work out as I had hoped so we still ended up down in the locker room way early. But then we had a really great talk. He, at that point, was ready to go home. But he wanted to take a shower! Well, we only take a shower after we go swimming... blah blah blah. I also bribed him! I told him that we would go out to eat after swimming and (here comes the important part) that we would go to a restaurant with a pool table. Hmmm, he thought. We can play pool? Yes, if you go swimming we will take a shower and then go play pool.

That was enough to get him changed into his swimsuit and out on the deck of the swimming pool. We were still early so we sat and watched other kids, including Abby & Ellie, swim.

His teacher probably thought we were nuts! If he hadn't talked up a storm about how fun, fantastic, and exciting swimming was we probably would have just let it go completely. But after class he talks it up like it is the best thing EVER! He is all talk until we are on our way at which point he decides that he'd like to go home. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't gotten the swimming pool is closed speech!

Before long it was time to get in and I left it all up to him. It is a small class, thankfully! Though it has grown from last week and now there are 4 boys in his class. What I really really like is that there is one teacher for that class; however there are other teachers available to help if needed. Last week and last night another teacher really helped these boys get acclimated. It is no surprise that the preschool class needs the extra hands on support. Last night the other teacher asked Spencer if he would swim with her. I told him I would sit right there (though I'm probably not supposed to) and I'd love to watch him swim. He got up and walked right over to the pool and jumped in. Only once during the 30 minute lesson did he get out to sit on my lap. I totally need a towel for the top of my lap! He did want me to go swimming with him and I told him that we would go to the family swim time (open swim) again this week, but the rules were that mommy & momma weren't allowed to get into the pool during swim lessons.

After swimming he told us that he wasn't nervous anymore. Hooray!

Near the end of the swim lesson I could see that Carie snagged a phone book. It was time to figure out where exactly we were going to go. When I made the bribe I didn't have a solution, I just figured we could figure it out! I'm sure we were hilarious to watch as we were communicating in some made up sign language. But it was effective!

While the girls were finishing up in the locker room Spencer and I went upstairs. We played a bit of foosball, ping pong, and we watched the big boys play basketball. The pool table was in use. But I did tell him that we would go somewhere to play pool.

The only thing was that the place we had decided on may have taken too long. We were hungry! So I asked if he'd like to play air hockey instead. We got the thumbs up from all the kids and so off we went to the dive of the pizza joint, ate marginal food (thankfully the kids don't care!), played air hockey and other various games.
Fun was had by all.

We headed home and straight to bed they went.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home