I Want A Redo!
Oh my, what a day. Yesterday was insanely crazy and last night didn't get any better. This morning I woke and requested a redo! Not that I want to repeat any of it, but I'd love less stress and more sleep.
It all seemingly started yesterday about 12:30 in the afternoon. I had been contemplating leaving my desk to grab some lunch. I was about to do so, then the phone rang. That was the beginning of the end. It was a work call and something is going down and I was asked to help. Sure! But honestly, the analysis I've done in the past has taken me - oh - a solid week to pull off. And that is after I get all the appropriate data in my hands. At this point I'm starting from scratch. I have minimal information, no data, and 1/2 the day is gone. Oh, and the client is on the plane right now and will be here on Tuesday. As a bonus, more information is shared as the day goes along and the scope seemingly shifts.
I'm sure glad I at breakfast because lunch is now the odds and ends from my desk drawer.
As the day precedes my stress level elevates. I finally check in with Carie in the afternoon only to be reminded of her class that evening. Oh SHIT! I totally knew about it. I've been looking forward to it. I remembered all weekend that the first class was Monday. But from the moment I woke yesterday it wasn't even on my radar. She suggests that I finish up and she'll just be late. Yeah, that isn't going to work. I fear that she wouldn’t just be late; she’d miss the whole thing. I have no idea how long it will take me to finish up. It doesn't look promising.
So I suggest that she bring the kids to me, I'll take them out for dinner, and she'll go to her class. That worked out pretty well since they were pretty much ready to go anyways and that gave me a bit more time to be productive and get a handle on things. Then the kids got to go to a play place that they love that we don't usually get to go to. All along I'm thinking about how to pull off the rest of the evening. I decide that we'll swing back by work after dinner and I'll grab the files I need. The kids were excited about the prospect of going to Momma's work!
It was really important to me to get the kids home and in bed. It was a school night and they need to stay on routine. They also needed a bath/shower, but that wasn't going to happen. It would have to happen in the morning which guarantees a rushed morning. So I'd just grab and send the info I needed and hope that I could make the necessary progress at home once the kids were in bed.
Shortly after arriving to work my phone rings. It is Carie and they are done (early) with their class. How she knew to call me at work, I don't know. But the timing was impeccable. She suggests that she'll come back and get the kids, take them home, and I'll stay and do what I need to do. I'm feeling bad. I want to be home to help. But this is really the best solution.
The kids had a blast at my work! They blew up balloons, drew on them, tossed them around, and ate too many chocolate chip cookies in the short time they were there. They thought it was the best!
Finally my project was done and sent off at nearly 10:30. It was time for me to head home!
I can live without redoing all of that. While I don't like being at work until 10:30, it is extremely rare and I don't mind. Overall my job is incredibly flexible and doesn't require those extra hours.
Once home we go through the necessary stuff to get things ready for the next day. Today is picture day so we had to fill out all the forms, etc... Carie then surprises me by showing me that she got the new lights up in the kitchen. That was way exciting an impressive! It is starting to get noticeably dark earlier and we needed working lights!
The rest of the night I can live without repeating.
I finally turned my light off at 12:30 only to hear Spencer calling for us by 12:45. I go to him and he wants up, he wants to cuddle, and he wants to go downstairs. So I take him to bed with me, which was nice. He's in a phase where he needs extra cuddling and closeness. Coincidently I had also just been thinking, in that long 15 minutes of darkness and quietness, about the time he did sleep with us and how he'd cuddle up next to me. Turning on our heated mattress pad brought back all those memories.
So we all settle in and sleep the best we can until about 3:30 when he requests a cup of milk. So we get a cup of milk and get all settled again until about 5:30 when he was again awake. Carie took him up to his room to rock. I must have fallen back asleep as I didn't hear her return. But the earth movers started making a great deal of noise at around 6:00. I don't know what they are doing behind our house, but it is loud. Then Ellie appeared out of nowhere and joined us in bed at about 6:30 with cold toes (that didn't bother her!) and something wrong with her thumb. Shortly after 7 Carie got Ellie into the shower and brought Abby downstairs. Abby was not pleased that it was morning so she and I cuddled for a bit and commiserated. We both wanted to go back to sleep. But instead we joined Ellie in the shower and got our day on its way.
I sure hope tonight goes better!
It all seemingly started yesterday about 12:30 in the afternoon. I had been contemplating leaving my desk to grab some lunch. I was about to do so, then the phone rang. That was the beginning of the end. It was a work call and something is going down and I was asked to help. Sure! But honestly, the analysis I've done in the past has taken me - oh - a solid week to pull off. And that is after I get all the appropriate data in my hands. At this point I'm starting from scratch. I have minimal information, no data, and 1/2 the day is gone. Oh, and the client is on the plane right now and will be here on Tuesday. As a bonus, more information is shared as the day goes along and the scope seemingly shifts.
I'm sure glad I at breakfast because lunch is now the odds and ends from my desk drawer.
As the day precedes my stress level elevates. I finally check in with Carie in the afternoon only to be reminded of her class that evening. Oh SHIT! I totally knew about it. I've been looking forward to it. I remembered all weekend that the first class was Monday. But from the moment I woke yesterday it wasn't even on my radar. She suggests that I finish up and she'll just be late. Yeah, that isn't going to work. I fear that she wouldn’t just be late; she’d miss the whole thing. I have no idea how long it will take me to finish up. It doesn't look promising.
So I suggest that she bring the kids to me, I'll take them out for dinner, and she'll go to her class. That worked out pretty well since they were pretty much ready to go anyways and that gave me a bit more time to be productive and get a handle on things. Then the kids got to go to a play place that they love that we don't usually get to go to. All along I'm thinking about how to pull off the rest of the evening. I decide that we'll swing back by work after dinner and I'll grab the files I need. The kids were excited about the prospect of going to Momma's work!
It was really important to me to get the kids home and in bed. It was a school night and they need to stay on routine. They also needed a bath/shower, but that wasn't going to happen. It would have to happen in the morning which guarantees a rushed morning. So I'd just grab and send the info I needed and hope that I could make the necessary progress at home once the kids were in bed.
Shortly after arriving to work my phone rings. It is Carie and they are done (early) with their class. How she knew to call me at work, I don't know. But the timing was impeccable. She suggests that she'll come back and get the kids, take them home, and I'll stay and do what I need to do. I'm feeling bad. I want to be home to help. But this is really the best solution.
The kids had a blast at my work! They blew up balloons, drew on them, tossed them around, and ate too many chocolate chip cookies in the short time they were there. They thought it was the best!
Finally my project was done and sent off at nearly 10:30. It was time for me to head home!
I can live without redoing all of that. While I don't like being at work until 10:30, it is extremely rare and I don't mind. Overall my job is incredibly flexible and doesn't require those extra hours.
Once home we go through the necessary stuff to get things ready for the next day. Today is picture day so we had to fill out all the forms, etc... Carie then surprises me by showing me that she got the new lights up in the kitchen. That was way exciting an impressive! It is starting to get noticeably dark earlier and we needed working lights!
The rest of the night I can live without repeating.
I finally turned my light off at 12:30 only to hear Spencer calling for us by 12:45. I go to him and he wants up, he wants to cuddle, and he wants to go downstairs. So I take him to bed with me, which was nice. He's in a phase where he needs extra cuddling and closeness. Coincidently I had also just been thinking, in that long 15 minutes of darkness and quietness, about the time he did sleep with us and how he'd cuddle up next to me. Turning on our heated mattress pad brought back all those memories.
So we all settle in and sleep the best we can until about 3:30 when he requests a cup of milk. So we get a cup of milk and get all settled again until about 5:30 when he was again awake. Carie took him up to his room to rock. I must have fallen back asleep as I didn't hear her return. But the earth movers started making a great deal of noise at around 6:00. I don't know what they are doing behind our house, but it is loud. Then Ellie appeared out of nowhere and joined us in bed at about 6:30 with cold toes (that didn't bother her!) and something wrong with her thumb. Shortly after 7 Carie got Ellie into the shower and brought Abby downstairs. Abby was not pleased that it was morning so she and I cuddled for a bit and commiserated. We both wanted to go back to sleep. But instead we joined Ellie in the shower and got our day on its way.
I sure hope tonight goes better!
Labels: Family



1 Comments:
Now that sounds like a very stressful day! Hope it doesn't happen again for a long time.
Post a Comment
<< Home