Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree
We finally have our Christmas tree up. It isn't decorated yet (well, except that one ornament that Ellie insisted on hanging and re-hanging), but that is planned for tomorrow night. They also hung all of our stockings tonight. The girls are beyond excited! I, however, am not overly hopeful that the boy will leave the pretties alone.
They have been quite disappointed in us this year. Clearly we aren't meeting their timeline in decorating our house for the Holidays. Abby has been especially vocal in telling me what we need to do and when. It doesn't help that many of the houses in our neighborhood had lights on as soon as they were done eating their Thanksgiving meal. We had planned to have them on and ready by then, but it just didn't happen. And now, we've missed our prime opportunity to hang them without freezing our extremities off. A few nights ago she went so far as to threaten that she wouldn't go to bed until the lights were up on the house. First of all, she is in a big phase of making threats about everything. Second of all, we are not getting on the roof to hang up lights in thick fog and drizzle. It just wasn't going to happen. I decided to take my odds that she would eventually fall asleep, and she did.
I sure do miss going out and picking out the perfect Christmas tree, creating those memories of us stomping around in the snow in search of the one for us, and the smell and beauty of a fresh tree. But there is absolutely nothing better than connecting three sections of a fake tree and just plugging it in. I had truly forgotten that the tree we got last year was a pre-lit. I had been thinking about how we'd be up until midnight stringing lights. I was thrilled when I was reminded that all we had to do was plug it in! From start to finish, a whole 20 minutes. Just the type of instant gratification we needed this year. Maybe in a few years we will return to the fields to pick out a real tree... maybe.
They have been quite disappointed in us this year. Clearly we aren't meeting their timeline in decorating our house for the Holidays. Abby has been especially vocal in telling me what we need to do and when. It doesn't help that many of the houses in our neighborhood had lights on as soon as they were done eating their Thanksgiving meal. We had planned to have them on and ready by then, but it just didn't happen. And now, we've missed our prime opportunity to hang them without freezing our extremities off. A few nights ago she went so far as to threaten that she wouldn't go to bed until the lights were up on the house. First of all, she is in a big phase of making threats about everything. Second of all, we are not getting on the roof to hang up lights in thick fog and drizzle. It just wasn't going to happen. I decided to take my odds that she would eventually fall asleep, and she did.
I sure do miss going out and picking out the perfect Christmas tree, creating those memories of us stomping around in the snow in search of the one for us, and the smell and beauty of a fresh tree. But there is absolutely nothing better than connecting three sections of a fake tree and just plugging it in. I had truly forgotten that the tree we got last year was a pre-lit. I had been thinking about how we'd be up until midnight stringing lights. I was thrilled when I was reminded that all we had to do was plug it in! From start to finish, a whole 20 minutes. Just the type of instant gratification we needed this year. Maybe in a few years we will return to the fields to pick out a real tree... maybe.
Labels: Christmas



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home