Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Do Not Leave Child Unattended

So I have so much to write about. I've got lists of topics and things to say. But this particular one cuts in line.

I know companies put warning labels on things to protect themselves from people who don't think. Like... "The contents of this cup may be hot". No kidding? Then there's the warnings all over baby equipment to remind you (but does it?) to not leave your child unattended. I know we all make decisions each and every day that affect the safety of our children. We all take some risks, often without really realizing it. But this one tops the cake, for me.

Last night I took Ellie into a public restroom to wash off the cheesy popcorn residue she had all over her hands and face. We entered the restroom to find a woman with her young boy, who I'm guessing was about 12m old given his size and skills. The boy is in a crawling position, and scooting backwards, on the changing table. Oh, and his pants are around his ankles and his boy parts are hanging free. The mother, with back to child, was clearly looking for something in one of the two strollers she had with her. Yes, two strollers, one child. The other child, who I'm guessing to be 3ish, was with dad in the hall.

I say to her, he's about to crawl off the end of the changing table. She was seriously only a couple moves away from the boy sliding right off the end and onto the floor. She turns around, picks him up, flips him over, and lays him back down, then turns away from him again to resume her search for whatever she was searching for.

What do you think happened? Of course the boy flips right back over! At this point he is now holding on to the edge of the table, peeking over the edge, and could easily topple over. Visions of Ellie's shopping cart accident totally came rushing through my head. I know what can happen if a child falls that far. I think I say something again, I don't remember. I'm a bit shocked and my mind is filled with all the horrible thoughts about what is going to happen.

I DO remember her being all worried about the unpaid merchandise she had brought into the restroom with her. She picks up the boy, with pants still around his ankles, and stands him on the floor next to all her gear. She then takes the small stack of merchandise to her husband. Then she returns to put a diaper on the boy.

Unbelievable!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home