Sunday, May 07, 2006

Getting On Board

We make it a practice to involve the girls in whatever plans we are making. They just seem to have a natural curiosity and interest in what we are doing. They like to know where we are going and what we are doing. I love that they are actively engaged in our activities and they aren't just tagging along. Their level of participation in the decision making varies from event to event. Sometimes we do what we need to do. Sometimes we are selling them on a plan that we have formed. Sometimes they get to decide.

Tonight we were outside playing and it was quickly approaching dinner time. We, the adults, were exhausted and decided that dinner would be prepared by someone else. We were going out!

Me to the girls: Would you like to go out for dinner?
**While I know I was opening myself up on this one, they have never ever turned down going out to dinner. Next to shopping, this is a favorite activity.

Ellie: To a restaurant?
Me: Yes, to a restaurant
Ellie & Abby: Yeah!
Me: Where shall we go? I suggest going to the pizza place that has the dough (they give the kids dough to play with)
Abby Counteroffers: How about the pizza place with the brownies?

We get loaded in the van and start driving to our unknown destination. I fill Carie in on the dialogue between Abby and I. We recap the discussion and the conversation continues.

Ellie Pipes In: Old McDonalds!!!
Mommy: Old McDonalds is absolutely denied
Me: How about the chicken place????
Abby: NOOOOOOOOOOO (I can't emphasize how emphatic she is about this)
Silence
Abby: "I was JUST thinking about the chicken place"
Mommy & Momma: Oh really? (Hysterical internal laughing in the front of the van)
Abby: Let's go to the chicken place
Mommy & Momma: Okay, let's go to the chicken place

No further vetoes are heard from the back seat. We head to the chicken place. We are about to pull into the parking lot of the chicken place and we hear from both girls "NO, not THIS chicken place". It is a darn good thing they were restrained in their car seats. So much for being on board!

It didn't help that they were both starving and tired. I took Spencer in to order dinner and find a table while Carie talked them down a few notches. It didn't take long and they joined us.


They both ate a phenomenal dinner. Abby decided that she liked to dip her chicken in honey. Ellie decided that she liked to dip her chicken in butter. I simply like that they ate and ate and ate. Oh, and they voluntarily sat like angels through the entire dinner. It was beautiful.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I guess I should just be glad that I only have myself and one picky guy to have these negotiations with, lol.

12:23 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Rainbow Momma said...

How funny! Isn't it soo much harder now that they have opinions? LOL!!

1:00 PM, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home