Monday, March 20, 2006

Pots Pots Pots

We have a problem with our pots, as in pots and pans, in our house!

The history...

It all started a few years ago. My brother worked in our city, which is an hour away from their home. Sometimes he'd stay with us to save a drive home. One day he went to make something to eat. The starting point was boiling water on the stove. Sounds pretty basic. Well, somehow during this boiling water process the bottom of the pan separated from the pan itself. Imagine a very hot pan separating. Yeah, the counter was damaged. We just wish he had gotten the floor too!

Old set of pots and pans... gone in favor of a new set.

Then a few months ago Carie was making dinner. One element of dinner was steamed broccoli, a favorite in this house. Well, somehow it was crazy around here (imagine that!) and the broccoli made it into the steam basket but the water didn't make it into the pan. It is pretty hard to steam broccoli with dry steam. This time, the pan stuck together! But the pan was severely damaged and the broccoli reeked... definitely not edible.

Then Friday night I tried helping make dinner when I got home. Broccoli was involved, again. I noticed that the broccoli hadn't been started yet the other components of dinner were nearly complete. I turn on the burner, took the pan to put water in it, decide that it will take too long to steam broccoli given the state of everything else, put the pan back on the stove with no water and no broccoli. Instead, we decide to heat up some green beans so I'm all over that task.

Yeah, I forgot to turn off the stove but at that moment I don't yet realize it. It wasn't until dinner was nearly done that I realized that the burner was on and the pan was really hot. I turn off the burner and pull off the pan. I checked to make sure that all the pieces were sticking together and if they weren't, I was going to ensure that it landed on our floor. But it was all holding together strong. Later on I moved the still warm pot to a hot pad far out of the reach of 6 little hands.

After bedtime we make it back to the kitchen. It is then that I realize that the pot had melted the hot pad. Actually, my first thought was that the pan had separated just as it had for my brother. But no, it completely demolished a hot pad and the pan now it looks like the other pan Carie did a number on months ago.

Based on the looks of hot pad, we are lucky that it didn't get the counter... again.









Two down, the big one's at that, one to go!









Figuring that it would be hard to cook in a 1qt saucepan, we've replaced this set.

After reading some of the material that comes with the new set it doesn't seem that there is a pan out there that can withstand dry steaming broccoli. With that in mind, I convinced Carie to get the 14 piece set over the 10 piece set... that gives us 2 more pans to burn through before having to do this all over again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home