Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Cold No More

I wish it were as simple as the cold has gone away.

But no. Bottom line is that

a) Surgery has been cancelled. The boy will not be getting ear relief this next Monday, as hoped.

b) No surgery because the boy now has RSV. Ped estimates that he picked up the virus while in the office 7 times in the month of December and 4 visits already in January... all warranted and needed visits. Between the ear infections, teething, and antibiotics... his immune system is so vulnerable.

Nebulizer treatments every 4-6 hours started this morning. He's at home, going nowhere. We figure we are on day 2 of this virus and anticipate it peaking around day 4 or 5. We hope to keep him out of the hospital.

c) Spencer still has his ear infections. Pussy fluid remains in his ears, though they are not "raging" yet. The current antibiotic appears to be keeping that at bay for the moment. We have no hopes of the antibiotic healing his ears. Our long shot hope is that the antibiotic keeps the infection under control.

d) Surgery cannot happen until he is clear of this viral infection for 20 days. We may be able to push anesthesiology to allow the surgery before that time, but not without added risks. He also must be fever free before the surgery can take place.

e) So... we continue to try to keep the ear infections under control while we recover from the RSV. How in the H*LL we are going to do that is beyond me. We are working with our Ped and ENT as things progress. One of their many concerns is his ears and potential hearing damage if this goes on too much longer.

I feel defeated. My boy is so miserable and I don't feel like I can do anything about it. I feel like comforting him isn't quite cutting it.

Update on the girls' while I'm here...

Ellie's ears are still the same. They aren't infected, but they aren't clear either. They aren't any worse than they were last Friday. It may take a while for them to look good since she had an infection for so long. We'll keep monitoring her in the coming weeks since it looks like we'll have a few more office visits. At this point I think they would have to be hurting really bad for us to know. She tells us that they are feeling better and she doesn't want any more "poke shots". So she thinks that if she tells us they hurt she'll get another shot... smart girl.

Abby was running a 101 temp yesterday and threw up last night. She told us that her right ear hurt, but that is the ear with the tube still in place so we would have seen drainage if it was infected. The Ped looked at them today and they looked okay... not great, but okay. We're going with it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

good lord. it just never ends does it. hoping for health at your house...and soon.

4:20 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Casey said...

Oh no! I cna't believe this - so not fair! Tht poor baby (and moms).

BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!

5:06 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Jaxson said...

I don't know if this is an option for you or not, but I highly, highly recommend looking into some alternative therapies. For instance, for ears, there's nothing better than ear candling. And there are lots of ways to boost the immune system naturally. I don't know where you live, so I can't check into it for you, but there should be someone around. See if you have a natural awakenings magazine for your area
http://www.naturalawakeningsmag.com
at the very least, the ear candling will work well, so long as they haven't ruptured anything (don't use it for tubed ears or it will hurt). Because at this point you're spinning your wheels, and I want to see you guys get some relief. I know how frustrating it is with adults, and kids just don't understand so it must be worse.

Good luck!

11:44 AM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh no Sonya!!! I am so sorry to hear this. That poor little boy having to deal with this, Ellie, Abby and the moms too.

Huge hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1:39 PM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home