Thursday, September 23, 2010

Very First Camp Experience

Sunday morning when we arrived at our Church Camp there were greeters there, stopping the vehicles, welcoming their guests, handing out maps and event details, etc... This was a big day for the camp. It was their big BBQ where everyone was invited in the hopes that they would raise big money to support the camps future efforts.

At that particular time there were two greeters, an older man and woman.  The woman was talking to the car in front of us, a group that we were caravaning with. The man then approached our van to, more than likely, have the same conversation. In the van was Carie (front passenger), myself (driver), and all 3 kids in the back. Both Carie and I were greeted with a very warm welcome. Then his next question, without skipping a beat, was "Are you representing one family or two?"

Now, I know some may take offense to this. We did not.

I guess I look at it this way...
Should he have assumed we were one family unit?
Should he have assumed we were two families?
Should he have been able to tell just by looking at us?

It then became clear that he didn't realize we had 3 kids in the back. With the tinted windows, he hadn't noticed them.  It wasn't until he was confirming how many people were in the vehicle that we had 3 stowaways.  I wonder, would his question had been any different if he had noticed the kids?

Would he have asked the same question to a vehicle with a man and a woman in it?  I don't know.  Again, I don't know that it's safe to assume.  I guess it all boils down to what you are really trying to get out of the exercise. I think the sticking point may be that if he were to assume that a vehicle with a man and a woman in it were one family unit, why ask the vehicle with two women in it?  An excellent question!

I think for me, in this scenario, it all boils down to...

With his warm welcoming nature, the tone of the conversation, and particularly the way he asked the question, it felt quite appropriate.  More so, our answer of "one family" was very well received, expected almost. 

While our particular Church is very welcoming and very open to diversity, not all Churches in our denomination are going to be.  This camp is located out in BFE and this event was for all congregations in the "area"!  For us, it was a solid hour drive.  So imagine the number of congregations this Camp would support.  Even with our "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors" slogan we all know there's a difference between talking the talk and walking the walk.  Our Church totally walks the walk.

Even SO, I know that individuals within the Church can say some pretty off things.  Somehow we've run into this well meaning gentleman before.  More times than I care to remember, actually.  He sure meant well when we ran into him at a restaurant and he started talking about Abby's accident.  Yet when the words were coming out of his mouth I wanted to cover Abby's ears.  Heck, I wanted to cover my own ears!  And I'm sure he meant well at the BBQ when he approached us to tell us all about how so and so donated $X to pay for this beautiful gazebo that was nearby.  I had already wondered if there was a connection to our Church since we have the same exact gazebo on our property.  Coincidence, I think not.  I just didn't need to know the specifics that he provided.  I'm sure the wonderful person he was speaking of would appreciate that as well.

Bottom line, I think I was honored that the greeter asked.  I keep thinking back to that moment, to that conversation and all I can do is smile.  It's not like he was asking if our meal was all on the same check.

We were truly welcome at camp, as we are, as a family... in BFE Nebraska.  It felt like a safe place for us, for our kids!

Our kids are really going to enjoy this place!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I don't think it was an inappropriate question. I don't expect everyone to look at us and immediately see "family" although it would be nice. :) The one thing that drives me insane is when we go out for meals and ALWAYS get asked, "One bill or two?" I know they're just clarifying but it gets annoying after a while. :)

8:23 AM, September 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home