Thursday, February 09, 2006

Amazing Changes

I am quite amazed at the changes we have seen in Spencer over the last 24 hours.

Prior to the surgery, he seemed active, alert, and attentive to things going on around him. He could clearly hear us and respond to us. He would communicate with us through his baby chatter and some signs.

I did have concerns that his language wasn't advancing as quickly as it should. Though according to the development screening we do at the Peds office, he was right on target. I think the concerning aspect for us was that it wasn't the pace we have become accustomed to and we knew that the fluid in his ears had to be holding him back.

I think the majority of our concerns were lifted after yesterday's surgery. The changes in his hearing and chatter have been astounding.

He clearly is hearing things he's not heard before. It is amazing to see him take notice in the sound of the dog drinking water and the dog tags clanking against the water dish. Even more amazing is that Spencer and the dog were in two different rooms. Spencer totally stopped what he was doing and curiously looked in the direction of the sound.

His language has exploded. I suspect he was on the cusp of hitting a development milestone in this area, but the tubes most certainly have played a huge role. Spencer can clearly hear his own voice now. It seems that he talks just so he can hear himself. It is beautiful! He's exploring new sounds, sounds much more complex than babababa. If the boy isn't sleeping, he is talking and talking loudly. When he woke at 2 am to eat, he ate and then woke himself with his own talking. It first started with him talking while he was sleeping. Then he was awake and entertaining himself with his talking. I just smiled, cuddled him, and kept rocking. About 45 minutes later, he let himself drift back to sleep.

His most exciting language development yesterday has to be the addition of "mom-mom" and his association of that to me. It will be interesting to see what he ends up calling me. When the girls' were little, I was always Momma. For a while now they go back and forth between Momma and Mom. Carie is still Mommy without question. At this rate, I'm sure he will have that down in no time!


It just feels so great to get this kind of affirmation that we made the right decision.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sonya. Congrats on the tubes! I used to work for a hearing center and it was always so cool to me when someone could hear after not being able to! I'm so glad your baby is doing well.

1:03 PM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger kiles1670 said...

That is great news, so happy to hear he is doing so well
Congrats.

5:45 PM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Sonya, that's so wonderful. I'm so glad that the surgery has already made such a huge impact for Spencer.

7:54 PM, February 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear he is doing so well!

BTW, I'm ALWAYS Momma, and Jess is Mommy OR Mom. LOL! Kids - they crack me UP!

11:17 AM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

so glad that you got immediate validation! now let's just hope for an extended period of good health all around at your house!

congrats mom-mom!

12:41 PM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh, I am so pleased that things are going so well. I remeber a rapid change in Robbie after his surgery last year. Isn't it wonderful when your child works to its full potential.

12:47 PM, February 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home