Friday, August 12, 2005

On Strike!

That is the boy's official diagnosis made by the moms'.

The boy just hasn't been acting quite right, not his normal happy self. A few nights ago he woke quite frequently through the night acting like we were withholding food. No big deal, he must be going through yet another growth spurt.

The next day he was less than his happy self, hmmm... must just not be having a good day. That night was worse than the night before but he wasn't much interested in eating, just unsettled. He was also running a really low-grade fever. I tried nursing him in the morning before I left for work and he didn't seem much interested. I thought maybe he wasn't hungry or ready to eat so let it go at that. Carie tried offering him a bottle later in the morning, nadda, not interested. He ate all of 2oz... that is only two ounces after dissing his nursing opportunity earlier that morning. Looking at this boy you'd know that he is not one to miss an opportunity to eat. So we called the Dr's office and made an appointment. He seemed to be following similar behavioral patterns to when he had an ear infection 3 weeks ago.

I took him to his appointment, just he and I. That boy hammed it up. He had the whole office going. I'm like... ummmm; I got the impression that he was not at all like this this morning. The Dr (not our usual Dr) was like, so what seems to be the concern? This boy did not act at all sick or unhappy. His ears and everything else checked out all clear. Our favorite front office person asked why we were there, she's always concerned about our kids and how they are doing. I concluded that the boy just needed his momma to come home! Wouldn't ya know, the boy’s chatter kicked up a notch and he was as happy as ever. They all laughed.

Finally though he was interested in eating. He started rooting heavily and definitely wanted to eat, so I obliged. It had been 11ish hours since he had eaten any quantity... only 2ish oz in 11 hours, just not like him. She he and I sat, cuddle, and he happily ate. We then went home and he ate some more and I laid him down for a nap then snuck back off to work.

While he likely has a little virus that is affecting him, the boy has some serious ideas about who he wants to comfort and feed him. Unfortunately his Mommy and the bottle aren’t cutting it for him, but she is trying so hard. His Mommy loves him so much and wants to provide for him and make him feel better. It's got to be hard when your 3m old won't allow it. I imagine that we are still adjusting from being on a family vacation for a week where he was nursed the entire time. But for now, it appears that he is on bottle strike and is demanding the Momma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home