We Were Due
It feels like we've had a great winter in the illness area... knock on some real wood! So I guess we were due for something.
I took Ellie in to our urgent care on Sunday, and I'm glad I did. Well, except for the fact that another family came in right after us and their infant son was all broke out in some nasty rash. Poor kid! I really felt for him and his parents. Clearly the parents hit their wall and were ready for it to be over. The mom was all “I have a deductible? Okay! I don’t care what it is, we need help!” But, if it was contagious, I could really do without our household coming down with it thankyouverymuch!
The verdict was a raging double ear infection. The doc didn't have to look long and no reason to look twice. This was absolutely no surprise to us given her nasty nose and drainage going on... and her mood, oh her mood, over the past week. But oddly, she has no other symptoms! We've asked her repeatedly throughout the week if anything hurt and when she said no we would specifically ask if her ears were bothering her. Again we got a no. Our kids never have fevers or any of the classic signs that come with ear infections. Add to that, she's been eating everything in sight recently. The girls also have a really high pain tolerance so by the time they tell us their ears hurt, it has gotten pretty nasty. Sure enough, this was the case on Sunday.
Sunday night when we got home Abby noted that her ear now hurt because (in the past 45 minutes) she shared her drink with Ellie. It was really framed as... I must be sick because I've shared Ellie's germs. It wasn't ever a... mom, my ear hurts thing. It also had been a long day and everyone was tired, ready to be home and in bed. Then again Tuesday morning Abby mentioned that her ear hurt. So off to the Ped they went and sure enough, double ear infection.
When Carie went in with Abby on Tuesday the receptionist commented on how they hadn't seen us in a long time. Carie joked that we were just into the Urgent Care (same office - different staff) with Ellie on Sunday, now Abby on Tuesday, surely we'll be back with Spencer on Thursday! I hope that isn't the case!
Our Ped also did a double take when she saw Spencer. He's grown so much!
We'll be following up in a couple of weeks with both of them because clearly they can't accurately tell us how their ears are doing... until it becomes really bad. That will also be a great time to review their overall allergy, sinus and ear history. Oh and their growth! Abby weighed in at 45lbs and Ellie at 47lbs. I’m hoping that is up from their previous measurements! We shall compare notes and discuss.
I took Ellie in to our urgent care on Sunday, and I'm glad I did. Well, except for the fact that another family came in right after us and their infant son was all broke out in some nasty rash. Poor kid! I really felt for him and his parents. Clearly the parents hit their wall and were ready for it to be over. The mom was all “I have a deductible? Okay! I don’t care what it is, we need help!” But, if it was contagious, I could really do without our household coming down with it thankyouverymuch!
The verdict was a raging double ear infection. The doc didn't have to look long and no reason to look twice. This was absolutely no surprise to us given her nasty nose and drainage going on... and her mood, oh her mood, over the past week. But oddly, she has no other symptoms! We've asked her repeatedly throughout the week if anything hurt and when she said no we would specifically ask if her ears were bothering her. Again we got a no. Our kids never have fevers or any of the classic signs that come with ear infections. Add to that, she's been eating everything in sight recently. The girls also have a really high pain tolerance so by the time they tell us their ears hurt, it has gotten pretty nasty. Sure enough, this was the case on Sunday.
Sunday night when we got home Abby noted that her ear now hurt because (in the past 45 minutes) she shared her drink with Ellie. It was really framed as... I must be sick because I've shared Ellie's germs. It wasn't ever a... mom, my ear hurts thing. It also had been a long day and everyone was tired, ready to be home and in bed. Then again Tuesday morning Abby mentioned that her ear hurt. So off to the Ped they went and sure enough, double ear infection.
When Carie went in with Abby on Tuesday the receptionist commented on how they hadn't seen us in a long time. Carie joked that we were just into the Urgent Care (same office - different staff) with Ellie on Sunday, now Abby on Tuesday, surely we'll be back with Spencer on Thursday! I hope that isn't the case!
Our Ped also did a double take when she saw Spencer. He's grown so much!
We'll be following up in a couple of weeks with both of them because clearly they can't accurately tell us how their ears are doing... until it becomes really bad. That will also be a great time to review their overall allergy, sinus and ear history. Oh and their growth! Abby weighed in at 45lbs and Ellie at 47lbs. I’m hoping that is up from their previous measurements! We shall compare notes and discuss.



4 Comments:
Yikes, sorry to hear about the ear infections and repeated doctor visits. I really hope your kids don't catch the rash the baby had on top of everything else! I hope everyone at your house is feeling better soon.
Hope their little ears are better in no time. And Re the infant with the rash..You shouldn't worry too much. What we found out with the 3 rash related viruses that J got, is once they have the rash they're no longer contagious, go figure. And a note stating that gets them back into daycare. And none of the other kids seem to get them.
I should probably have noted that the girls started improviing/feeling better immediatley after getting some meds in them.
And really - the timing is perfect! We knew something was brewing, we just didn't know when it was going to come to a head. Now they'll be feeling much better and be rested for the upcoming tests at school followed by SPRING BREAK!
And Tanya - thanks for the info on the rash. The poor dude looked miserable. That office does a pretty great job of not keeeping people in the waiting area for long... but i'm often worried about coming out of there with a new virus/infection. They did end up taking that family back to a different room to wait... just in case.
hope the ears all cleared up in time for spring break
Post a Comment
<< Home